Sunday, 20 May 2012

Tiredness and kittens

It's been a while, I'm usually a lot better at writing here, and I'm sorry I've been out of touch. It's been a hard few weeks, and I think the reality of being here is hitting me again and I've not had the energy to be updating.


I moved house a couple of weeks ago, and I really think God for providing me with somewhere so perfect. It's a little apartment in a complex of 7, with a security guard and lovely gardens. It's exactly the kind of place I'd hoped I'd get, and the rent is really affordable. It took a while to move in and get settled (still missing a fair bit of furniture, and no mirrors in the house!) but it's so lovely. On Monday I'll be getting a couple of kittens from a friend who unexpectedly had them (her cat, not her!) and I can't help feeling that will complete the place. Aren't they cute? I'll put more pics up when they move in. Mine and the white one and the stripy one at the top. Stripy is still nameless! White one is Splash.


In the last week and a half I've been pretty ill - nothing serious but enough so sap all my energy and keep me in the house most of the time. It came at the same time as the excitement of being back in Mbarara wore off, so I've been feeling pretty sorry for myself! Would really appreciate your prayers for health but more for contentment with what I have and a joy that's deep seated in God, not in what I have or where I am. I often feel like I can be buffeted around by life and my happiness depends on the next exciting thing I'm doing, and that's not sustainable or good for me at all, nor does it honour God and everything He's done for me. Brendan thinks I need to learn to be grateful, and though that's hard to hear it's actually very true!

I was asked to share some prayer points and a verse with my old church in Glasgow (St Silas' Church), who have been praying faithfully for me since I first came out here almost three years ago. Thought you out there in blogland might want to see them, too:


My prayer points:
For good health, as I've been getting ill with minor things recently, but often. It really takes it's toll after a while.
For finances, as I'm still under budget, but more importantly for contentment with what God is providing for me.
For focus from the girls I teach, as we're halfway through the 6 month course and we're all getting tired, but God is teaching us important things and we need to continue listening and focussing on Him.
And lastly praise that I get to come home in June for a month or so to spend time with family and friends.

My verse: Philippians 1:6, which reads in the Message version, 'There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears'. I often feel like I'm unfinished, not really prepared to be out here doing the work He's asked me to do. Being a 'missionary' often means you're expected to be the perfect one with all the answers, and I'm not. It's so reassuring to know I'm a work in progress, and God knows what He's doing with me and isn't going to give up.

I also have counselling exams next week, so please pray I have energy and health to study and sit them, and then enough vitality to be a bridesmaid for two days immediately after..!

Not my most cheerful of posts, but I just wanted to let you all out there know how things are going with me. Life here isn't always pineapples and vanilla cakes (though I do seem to have a lot of both) and it's good for me to be reminded that 'real life' is here too, which includes 'down' weeks and boredom. But I have a God that loves and heals, and looking to Him is where I find true joy.

1 comment:

  1. Do you remember the 4Ps of Redcliffe, Lou? Sounds like you could do with them now? You have 5, Pineapple and 6, Pusscat already! All the best,
    Simon Stevens

    ReplyDelete